Last night at about 11:00 pm, I finished the manuscript and all associated documents for the 2nd edition of U2-A Diary! I’ll be sending Omnibus a little more than 40,000 words and the new book should be 400 pages total when it comes out this summer.
But I have one last question for U2 fans.
I’ve written a short, three-paragraph Introduction that covers only the new material – 2008 through 2010. The Introduction is sort of a big picture, high-level assessment of the material in the diary. I reviewed these past three years and found the major themes/events to include
- relatively poor album sales compared to past U2 albums
- poor sales/response to U2’s singles
- shut out at all the major awards, even the Meteor Irish Music Awards in their own country
- Bono’s back injury
- the long-running Spider-Man problems
- huge success for the U2 360 tour
The Introduction as I’ve written it basically says that this was a difficult three years for U2 and that there were more negatives than positives.
The question to you: Is that accurate/fair? Or, were the past three years better for U2 than I’ve painted them? Your feedback is appreciated! Please leave a comment below and I’ll process them for posting as quickly as possible.